Camera and Home Automation

This thread intends to list all usable cameras for Home automation.

What cameras have worked for you?
Xiaomi Minja with hack worked well.
YI home no luck on rtsp
Foscam c1, choppy upload and rtsp on network not working

You can try the RasPi camera itself.

In the past i have worked for a smart home company that sold some various IP cameras. We mostly had the Foscam brand of cameras. The physical build was solid enough and the software had various integrations to FTP servers or sending a HTTP request. I didn’t get to study the integration of the cameras to a smart home system, but it seemed doable. For instance it could send a HTTP request to your smart home system when it detects motion. Keep in mind i didn’t actually set that up, so take it with a grain of salt.

Foscam is also open source, which means that API and documentation for the source code is available. Although they seem to have stepped back on that, and you need to sign a non-disclosure agreement to get the information. (source: https://www.opensourceautomation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1351) Since its atleast a somewhat open system it would be much easier than integrating a closed source one.

I would also be interested in what camera people are using.

I bought an Aqara IP camera because it has a very large angle and is quite cheap.
However, I released it’s all proprietary and did not find any hack to enable RTSP for example :confused:

I have a Swann NVR and HD cameras (basically rebranded Foscams or Hikvision), but haven’t tried to tie them in to the home automation yet.

Now that you mention it… lemme go look into that.