Mistake in my code...somewhere...or...?

Hey Matt, (or anyone willing to help out) I finally got my ESP8266 to take the firmware when I used my MacBook. Very odd that I had an error with my iMac, error with my windows computer yet all went smooth with my MacBook. Oh well! Now, My issue seems like its got to be quite simple but When I test my blinds controller with MQTT, no matter what I publish (1-100 or the word tits) the servo blips and thats it. if I click publish again, nothing happens until I change the input (lets use boobs this time for fun) same blip! What am I missing? Obviously somewhere in the code its not telling the servo to run for its given amount of time?? I don’t recall exactly where, and if, that was something I had to do or was it already simply written in your code? I will, obviously, eventually use your V2 firmware but you released it just a couple days early and I’ve taken just a couple days too long to get my first blind working (six more to go) and so here I am, stuck in the middle of V1. I sure hope you can help as I am so close otherwise. I really don’t want to spend another night tonight with my neighbours peeking in while I shower, PLEASE HELP!!:joy:

And just to add, nothing works through OpenHab either. The only response I can get from the control unit is a quick blip from the servo no matter what I publish, not just the 1-100 that I should be. O originally wasnt getting anything and it turned out to be a bad power supply that was only outputting 4.8V but my current PS is running at 5.18V so it should be getting plenty of juice. Just a side thought, what should normally happen when I publish anything to MQTT that is NOT the 1-100 values? Maybe what is happening is normal and I may be wrong about where the problem lies? thanks!

re-flashed the firmware for the 8th time and seems to be working now. :ok_hand: But I’ve still got no control in OpenHab. god damnit.

I don’t know if this is related, but in the initial instructions published by Matt, he mentions an alternative firmware to flash on the chip. You might read through the instructions and see if that might help.
Good luck!

I don’t believe there is an “alternative firmware” but Matt did just recently released Version 2 if thats what you meant? None-the-less, as I posted above, I got it sorted out that day, but thanks! I don’t actually remember exactly what the issue was.

In the video that Matt produced for the setup of the esp, he speaks of a secondary template to utilize if you are experiencing issues with connection.
You will have to watch the video carefully and read the accompanying text to find out what the alternative template.
I had to use the alternative on one of the boards in order to get it to respond to commands.

Great Cody!
It took me a few tries to get the correct template and get my esp flashed the first time. I had to reread the guide and watch the video twice before getting it right,
I am having flashing to v2, I can reach my board through openHAB, but not able to using the host name to run the firmware upgrade.
I reached out to Matt and hopefully would hear back soon.
Enjoy!

There are a lot of really smart dudes on this forum. If you post you issue, someone can probably help you out without having to bother Matt about it. He already dedicates a lot of his time to the project without getting much back in return. Which is why he built this forum to try and alleviate some of the 100+ technical emails that he was getting each day. Have you tried using the IP address instead of the device name? My device name was actually case-sensitive as well so that was also an issue for me.

You know, I understand “smart dudes”, because I happen to be one. I am a System administrator for a school district. I have to answer all sorts of people’s questions and I am busier than a bee in a hive everyday. But that’s okay because that is what I do and do well.

I figure if Matt doesn’t want to answer because he’s busy, well he’ll let me know.

I’ve worked in the professional industry for 35 years Fresh City and the one thing that I’ve learned, you’re never too busy to share and collaborate and if you are then you’re in the wrong field because you’re just overwhelmed.
I’m not saying Matt is overwhelmed, but that is for him to decide when or what he responds to.

Now, if you like to discuss firmware or the operation of a blind kit or the such then we can chat. In the mean time get off the track of telling me what someone is doing or needing and everything will be fine. A little bit of honey goes along way to making things better.

Other then that, I do know what an esp is and what it does and I am not trying to update openHAB, rather the esp board.
Yes, I have used both the IP address and the host name with no response.
I am still learning which I never stop doing and hope to learn more and that’s okay. If your not asking questions then your not learning.
If you go and read my original post I do mention that I tried the IP address and I could not connect.
Anyway, have a good night and Thank you for your input.

I don’t know what else to tell you that I haven’t already, fella. I’m not sure why you thought your job resume would be of interest to me and I am not trying to be a dick but you are clearly confused about a few things so instead of a defensive response about how smart you think you are, take your own advice and pay attention. Maybe even read it over a couple times so it sinks in:

You will most definitely get an error page if you are trying to link to http://YourServersIPAddress/firmware because such an address just doesn’t exist. I also told you once already that Matts “V2” firmware is for the ESP controller, NOT your Openhab server. In your original post that I responded to you said “I am trying to update my HOME AUTOMATION SERVER TO V2” (Your “Home Automation server” IS OPENHAB) now you claim “I do know what an esp is and what it does and I am not trying to update openHAB” So which is it? Are you trying to update your server/openHAB or are you trying to update your ESP controller?

If you are trying to update your “esp board” to Matts V2 firmware, then your Server IP address definitely IS NOT going to get you there. You need to use http://yourBLINDCONTROLLERIPADDRESS/firmware OR BlindControllerDeviceName.local/firmware NOT your Server/Openhab/Raspberry pi IP address. I think I also already explained that one but maybe you were just too busy managing the beehive and missed that part. :man_shrugging:

Cheers!

I don’t think I am smart, I am smart. But more then that I know how to deal with people, which you seem to be lacking the way you like to throw insults at me.
Regardless, I figured out the problem. My address was for the esp, I could not use the the .bin file because it was written with the code that was made for mk-smarthouse blinds setup, i.e. mkblindscontrol1. I rewrote the code to work with my own setup on the pi server.
I will get it figured out and get the update completed.
In the meantime you have a great night.

Must have been that damn “alternative template” that Matt snuck in there, it gets me every time! Next time, just “read through the instructions a second time” and “watch the video a little more carefully” and you will get it! Cheers!

I ended up just sticking with the current firmware version and the blinds are working flawlessly with a little noise when the fully close for the evening.
Other then that all 4 blinds controllers are working.
Thank you!

Where do we send your trophy? :clap:t3: :trophy: