Z-wave compatibility

Hi!
I am a total beginner at home automation but I would like to know more and make my home smart. I recently bought a z-wave security system (it s called “zerowire”) and I wanted to ask if I can integrate that in the system that you designed. If yes, how is this done? If no, how can I automate my house differently so it includes my security system?

Thank you in advance
Stefanos

I am currently testing some different z-wave devices with my openHab Raspberry Pi using a USB z-wave dongle and seems to be working well so far. Which “system” where you hoping to integrate with your current security system? The blinds? LED strips? I assuming you don’t need the door sensors since your system most likely already has them.

Thank you for answering!
So far, I have no idea about automation (i don’t have a Rasberry yet and even if I did, I wouldn’t know how to use it so any advice on what to read would be appreciated). The plan would be to connect the alarm system with LEDs and maybe a media server and do simple stuff like “when I come in from the front door open two lights” etc. Do you think this is possible if I follow the mksmarthouse videos or should I check something else?

I honestly don’t think you need to go the openHab/Raspberry Pi route. I hate to steer someone away from the most universal option (openHab) But it takes quite a bit of learning and programming. You would be able to more than accomplish your goal with standard consumer products from BestBuy or Home Depot. If you use an iPhone then anything HomeKit compatible would obviously be the best way to go. There is Smartthings for Android or Wink is always a good option for either platform.

Thank you very much for your time!